- Bulb Energy
- London, GB
- £ 80,000 - 95,000
- star_border Help shape the future of energy
- star_border We all own a bit of Bulb
- star_border Flexible working hours and work-from-home Wednesdays
- star_border 3 months of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave
- star_border Generous relocation assistance for people joining us from overseas
- star_border £1000 a year, plus 5 working days, to spend on personal development
- star_border Equipment of your choice
- star_border 33 days holiday a year and the option to buy up to 5 more
- star_border Sabbatical leave after a year of employment at Bulb
- star_border Mental and physical wellbeing sessions (Yoga, Meditation and Sanctus)
About the team
Bulb is here to help our members cut their energy bills and reduce their carbon emissions. Our product teams make that happen. We’re developing products that will deliver the future of energy - from using AI to read energy meters, to making carbon offsetting fun and simple, from finding out how to get the most from Smart Meter data to helping people get paid for their solar energy. We also power the sign-up journey that helped us become the fastest growing company in the UK last year and the internal tools that let us deliver an excellent Trust Pilot score.
We work in project-based sprints in integrated teams and encourage an open and transparent working environment.
As a Senior Ops Engineer you will:
- Be passionate about infrastructure and delivery whilst striving for continuous improvement
- Contribute to and assess new innovations and ideas to meet short term and longer term goals
- Work closely with developers to ensure a principled approach to delivering change in a safe and secure way
- Maintain relationships with third parties to ensure our comms are accurate and reliable
- Create robust and scalable multi-region solutions to accommodate our growing user base
- Ensure safety and audit-ability of all build (Circle CI) and Kubernetes deployment processes
- Own and deliver pipeline into production
- Create, maintain and test recovery (backup, restore, infrastructure and automation)
- Be responsible for the security of the infrastructure.
- Collaborate with the technology team to drive engineering efforts and help scale Bulb’s infrastructure.
Here are some of the things we think will be valuable, but we're also open-minded. If you recognise yourself any of these traits then we’d love for you to send us an application.
- Google Cloud Platform and Kubernetes expertise
- Good understanding of traditional ops areas of expertise: Linux, Disk I/O, Networking, VPNs
- Continuous delivery - principles and pragmatics of dealing with build pipelines, artefact repositories, zero-downtime deployment and so on
- Proving resilience via failure injection (chaos monkey), scalability via load and stress testing
Teams at Bulb are cross-functional, self-organized and autonomous pods. The key features of this structure are:
- You’ll be working within a growing cross functional team composed of specialists with backgrounds in DevOps, Engineering and Security.
- We practice Kanban and work lean.
- Work is not siloed, you’re able to commit across the stack, and you have a view of all the features the team are working on.
- We’re use data to drive continuous improvement in our development process and we review this data in our fortnightly retrospectives.
- We reflect the Bulby working culture.
- Be part of a growing technology startup and help shape the future of energy.
- Training budget of £1000 a year, plus five working days to spend on professional or personal development. You can use this for training courses, books or conferences.
- 33 days holiday a year (including bank holidays) and the option to buy up to 5 more.
- After a year at Bulb, you can take an additional month of unpaid leave to travel, work on personal projects or simply to recharge and reboot.
- 12 weeks of full pay for maternity, paternity or adoption leave.
- Every team member has the option to buy shares in Bulb at a later date, at a discounted price. We all own a bit of Bulb.
- Activities to improve your mental and physical well being including office yoga and meditation.
- Private health care with Vitality
- Pension plan with employer contributions, and a cycle to work scheme.