- Boston, MA, US
- Mid-Level, Senior
- $ 100,000 - 120,000
- star_border flexible time-off policy
- star_border medical, dental and vision
- star_border 2 week pawternity leave (new puppies and rescues)
- star_border work from home on Fridays
- star_border WeWork office (and all amenities)
- star_border office dogs
We’re looking for a talented and motivated full-stack engineer with 3+ years of experience to join as our second or third engineer on the team. You will own projects from end-to-end by influencing initial feature specs, building backend APIs, writing front-end code, and overseeing ongoing improvements for deployed features.
Our mission is to simplify pet care for pet people, starting with a modern, online and mobile platform for small pet services businesses to automate and streamline their operations so that they can focus on what they love -- the pets they care for. Our end-to-end business management solution is tailored for pet care and includes CRM, automated schedule optimization, staff management, seamless billing and payments, marketing tools, integrated analytics and comprehensive reporting – basically everything a business needs all in one place. Our initial focus is on dog walking & sitting companies, but we expect to span the entire pet care domain, including grooming, training, boarding, and even veterinary services down the road.
We launched our beta 18 months ago and now have 550+ pet care professionals relying on our software to complete their daily appointments and 15K+ pet parents managing their pet’s care on our platform. We believe we are at an inflection point in our growth, having just closed our seed round of funding with which we expect to 5X our scale in the next 12-18 months.
- Full-stack engineer with 3+ years of full-time work experience in software engineering
- Comfortable with touching any part of our tech stack as 1 of 3 engineers on our team
- Experience with Ember or similar frameworks (React, etc.) and Ruby/Rails or similar frameworks (Django, etc.)
- Experience with AWS or similar cloud services
- Experience turning wireframes and mockups into elegantly executed code
Who we’re looking for:
- Entrepreneurial mindset with a hands-on, get-stuff-done attitude
- Self-motivated with excellent work ethic
- Team player with strong communication skills and capable of working cross-functionally
- Superb problem solver with strong critical thinking skills, who loves rolling up your sleeves to build things on your own but also know when to ask for help
- Passionate about creating memorable, delightful experiences for customers, who may come from all walks of life
- Strong desire to work in a pet friendly office and would love to support animal rescue work, if you’re not involved already
What you’ll do day-to-day:
- Tackle a wide variety of technical problems throughout the stack and contribute daily to all parts of our product code base
- Build a simple, beautiful, intuitive product that our customers genuinely love
- Work closely with our Founder to understand customer pain points, come up with solutions, and the prototype, iterate, and launch daily
- Own what you build as you architect, test, and refine PetPocketbook’s product suite
- Hang with our office pups, Remington and Bailey
Examples of projects you could work on:
- Developing our marketplace to connect pet parents with businesses on PetPocketbook, including search and recommendation algorithms incorporating expertise compatibility, schedule availability, geolocation, price, and connections-based endorsements.
- Architecting and implementing a central messaging system for our companies to communicate with their clients through any messaging medium (i.e. email, text, Facebook messenger, etc.)
- Strengthening our test suite. We’ve been iterating quickly and have a little catching up to do around developing fulsome tests to ensure code stability. As you work on each feature, you will also be working to improve the comprehensiveness and effectiveness of our test coverage.
- Refining our data architecture. PetPocketbook will become a massive digital pet community built on an intricate web of trusted relationships between pet people and businesses. You will help design our architecture accordingly to support that vision.
- Creating an algorithm for optimizing our company’s schedules that takes into account their walkers routes, pet behaviors, and individual time requirements.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply.
If you are interested in putting your technical skills towards modernizing how pet care works today, please contact us at email@example.com with your resume and a short description of why you’d be a good fit for the job!